The History of Brickfields Nature Reserve

Over the years Brickfields Volunteers have managed to collect snippets of information and various items about the history of Aldershot that directly relates to Brickfields Nature Reserve and to the Aldershot Brick and Tile Works that previously flourished on the derelict site that became Brickfields Nature Reserve in 1985. Council reports, maps, anecdotes, emails, letters, photographs, a gazetteer of Hampshire brickworks, even a book from an 1881 listing the lots, buyers and prices from an auction at the brickworks. The following articles, notes, pictures, Etc. have been received from various sources and they constitutes our history, hopefully the beginning of our quest.

If you can help in any way we would be most grateful. We are already indebted to the many kind folk who have helped us so far.

The Monks of Waverley Abbey (C. 1175-1475)

The first records concerning the area on which Brickfields Nature Reserve now stands dates from about 1175 when the monks of Waverley Abbey were donated 31 acres of land for sheep grazing for which the rent in 1287 was 4s 3d. The area was roughly bounded by Church Lane, Church Road and Boxalls Lane. Another 29 acres to the east extending approximately to Highfield Avenue was rented by Margaret of Overscumbe.

For about 300 years the area was worked by one monk and seven clerics.

Farm Land (C. 1475-1850's)

After the Dissolution of the monasteries, it was bought by Robert White of Aldershot. The two areas were amalgamated into one farm of 60 acres administered by John Faunteleroy, one of Aldershot's main landowners, until the early 1600s.

About 1650, the Boxall family came into possession of the land, but in 1703 Sarah Boxall was taken to court in London for non payment of taxes, as a result the area was broken up into smaller portions, of which Boxalls Farm was the largest.

Army Arrival, Brickworks to the Present Day (C. 1850's - Now)

Soon after the Army's arrival in Aldershot either Boxall or Eggar dug the pit in what is now Brickfields Nature Reserve to extract the clay used for bricks in many of the buildings of the rapidly expanding town. The Brickfields housing estate was the site of the brickworks and drying ovens, which were in use up until about 1938–40. After then the site lay unused except for brief periods as a concrete works and storage area, and then latterly as a refuse dump.

In 1983 a report suggesting the area be turned into a nature park was proposed and adopted by the council and work commenced. Over the next two years Rushmoor Borough Council and The Manpower Services Commission transformed what had become an eyesore into a unique recreational facility for the local community.

The pond was enlarged and reworked to take its water supply from a natural stream within the park and flood prevention measures were installed. This and other excavation and clearance work turned a tip into a treasure.

Have Any History On the Park?

We are trying to compile a comprehensive history of the park and the immediate area, we have some information already but we need more so if you have any information relating to the park, anecdotes (a lot of local residents used to play in the old brick diggings in their younger days), photographs, press cuttings etc, then please let us know.